I was craving Tuna Tartare but was not in the mood to go dine out. I tried creating my favorite dish in the comfort of my own home. Don’t get intimidated by the fancy looking plates at restaurants because anything can be made in your very own kitchen!
*One pack Grade A tuna*
2 tsp low sodium kinnoman soy sauce
2 tsp Coconut Aminos **
I tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp toasted sesame oil ***
One avocado mashed
Teaspoon on lemon juice
Teaspoon of soy sauce
(fried onion, truffle mayo and a drizzle of truffle oil)
* Make sure you buy grade A tuna because you need the best quality tuna when eating it raw.
** Coconut aminos is a healthier alternative for teriyaki sauce. I love it and highly recommend buying it.
*** I made the mistake of buying regular sesame oil which isn’t toasted which is very bland so make sure you buy the toasted sesame oil instead!
1. Cut the Tuna into cubes
2. Add soy sauce, coconut aminos,sesame seeds, truffle salt and toasted sesame oil mix well
3. Let the tuna sit for about 30 minutes to soak up all the flavor
4. Mash an avocado and add salt, lemon and soy sauce (you might not need salt due to the high sodium in the soy sauce)
5. Take a round cylinder and place it on the plate you are playing the tuna. Fill up the cylinder about 3/4 of the way and fill the rest up with avocado.*
6. Optional: Top with truffle mayo**,fried onions***and a drizzle of truffle oil
* If you do not have a cylinder try a cookie cutter or place ingredients from top to bottom in a short glass cup and flip it over on the plate.
** Fried onion:
Slice one onion with half a cup of canola oil on high heat. Let it fry for about 6 minutes till the onions get crispy.
*** I used store bought truffle mayo but you can also make your own by just adding one tablespoon of truffle oil, one teaspoon of truffle salt and one teaspoon truffle patte to a half a cup of mayo.